Design Tips for Creating a Classical Garden
Kenneth Lynch & Sons shares how to achieve a garden steeped in history.
Wondering how to achieve a garden that is full of history and style?
A classical garden is characterized by clearly defined geometry, dramatic focal points and symmetrical details, enhanced by hardscape, plantings, and ornament.
In the 1950’s, Kenneth Lynch traveled to Europe, specifically Rome, to begin collecting and producing all types of garden ornaments with a heavy emphasis on Italian Carved Limestone.
His goal was to find fountain styles with various smaller components which could be easily reproduced and transported. It was his idea to make available the beautiful artistry of hand carved statuary to the general public by offering the items in a less expensive material in the United States.
Today, Kenneth Lynch & Sons works with garden designers, landscape architects, and homeowners to create timeless classic outdoor spaces through their expertise in garden ornamentation and cast stone pieces. They are the perfect starting point for sourcing items for a classical garden.
In order to create a classical garden on your property, consider some of these main design elements that create an elegant and formal space:
- Geometry and balance – straight lines, right angles and circles
- Dramatic, grand elements as focal points like a statue or fountain at the end of the walkway or in the middle of a flower bed
- Classical statuary inspired by the Roman and Greek gods and goddesses, heroic figures, leaders, and even mythical creatures and animals
- Symmetrical details and ornamentation to show structure
- Precise, restrained plantings within formal walkways
- Garden rooms punctuated by grand garden ornamentation
- Linear hedges to define parterres
Kenneth Lynch & Sons’ Estate Elements collection of garden ornamentation includes a broad array of cast stone and lead pieces including fountains, statuary, sundials, urns, pedestals, obelisks, and more, bringing gardens of all sizes and styles to life. Discover more at klynchandsons.com or get inspired by their beautiful products on instagram @klynchandsons.