Fall in Love With These Six Trees
Plant a tree now and help save the planet.
Arbor Day occurs during spring, but autumn is an ideal time to plant deciduous trees in your garden. These six species thrive in the Northeast and provide seasonal interest all year long.
• Want the healthiest oak tree possible? Have lots of patience? Plant an acorn!
• Trees aren’t messy if you put them in the right spot. In other words, it’s a good idea not to plant a tree that sheds lots of leaves and flowers right next to a swimming pool.
• Newly planted trees need to be watered well during their first year.
• Consider a tree’s bark color for winter interest, since most deciduous trees eventually shed all their leaves.
• When buying a new tree, bear in mind that small trees catch up to big trees quickly, as they have less transplant shock.