Macklowe Gallery Founders Seek $60M for Their Longtime Oceanfront Hamptons Home
Along the oceanfront in East Hampton, all kinds of lavish mansions exist. And, a one-of-a-kind estate with notable sellers just hit the market. Originally constructed in 1926 by architect Roger Bullard, Ellery S. James House has belonged to Lloyd and Barbara Macklowe, the founders of Macklowe Gallery, for nearly 30 years. Now ready to let it go, they are asking $60 million for their historic West End Road property.
Set on 1.51 acres and holding an impressive 170 feet of ocean frontage on a private stretch of Georgica Beach, the home is firstly expensive for its location alone. An address on this part of West Beach Road, with the Atlantic on one side and Georgica Pond on the other, is certainly coveted. And, the luxury builds from there. Add in time-consuming renovations at the hands of the sellers—famous for their taste—and the home’s size and amenities, and it creates quite a pricey package.
As it stands today, the home spans 6,100 square feet and counts 5 bedrooms and 5.5 bathrooms. Views of the water and sand complement the oversized rooms in scale and simplicity, with delightful interior treasures including a turn-of-the-century ceramic art nouveau fireplace in the second-level office.
A pool, three-car garage, and crisp lawns are also part of the deal, as well as the opportunity to expand for an ambitious buyer. According to the listing with Kyle Rosko and Marcy Braun of Douglas Elliman, 1,434 square feet or more could be added should someone wish.