The Best Italian Plum Crisp
Bursting with flavor, this dish is a fan favorite.
Italian Plum Crisp
Abundant right now, Italian prune plums are fantastic for baking and wonderful in this crowd-pleasing dish, but any variety of plum will work. Smooth with a splash of crunch, this dessert has a refreshing texture.
For the topping:
1 c. plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1⁄3 c. light brown sugar
2 T granulated sugar
3⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
1⁄4 tsp. coarse salt
1⁄2 c. (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces 1⁄2 c. sliced almonds
For the filling:
3 lbs. Italian prune plums (or other plums), halved, pitted, and cut into wedges
1⁄2 c. granulated sugar 1⁄4 c. all-purpose flour
1. Make the topping: Combine the flour, both sugars, and the cinnamon, cardamom, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine.
2. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture becomes clumpy and looks moist throughout. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the almonds, and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
3. Make the filling: Preheat the oven to 375 ̊F. In a medium bowl, combine the plums, sugar, and flour.
4. Spread the fruit in a 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the topping. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
5. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving with a drizzle of heavy cream or ice cream. Serves 8 to 10.
The print version of this article appears with the headline: Purple Majesty.
Subscribe to C&G