Top Real Estate Agents Share 7 Pieces of Advice for Buyers Right Now
Real estate inventory is low throughout the country. Many dreaming of new digs are checking in with their brokers and refreshing their Zillow searches daily, maybe even hourly, hoping to find and buy a gem. So, to help buyers out in this seller’s market, the New York Design Guide 2022 is providing valuable advice from seasoned agents.
Whether you’re a buyer, actively hunting for your forever home or a great investment property, or an aspiring agent eager to learn, be sure to keep these tips in mind.
1. “Educate yourself on location, size, condition, amenities, maintenance history, and a layout that’s conducive to working at home.” —Julie Johnson, Core
2. “For apartments, look at comparables in the building and in the neighborhood. I also suggest researching transaction activity further back—how has the building trended in the last 10 years?” —Ben Jacobs, Douglas Elliman
3. “If you buy into a neighborhood or building that is seeing a lot of action or has an incredible location, your investment will likely appreciate faster.” —Ryan Serhant, SERHANT.
4. “If you are willing to put some work into a diamond in the rough, it’s still possible to get a relatively good deal.” —Joanna Rizoulis, Julia B. Fee Sotheby’s International Realty
5. “Right now, there are a lot of bidding wars, so be prepared to pay a little more.” —Jessica Chestler, Douglas Elliman Real Estate
6. “Don’t obsess about square footage—that’s a crutch, and it hasn’t served our industry well. Value depends on many other factors: Building structure, finishes, flow and layout, light, air, and volume.” —Vickey Barron, Compass
7. “It’s a seller’s market right now, so there are no ‘good deals.’ Simply put, a property with multiple offers is a good property.” —Amy Smith Sroka, Julia B. Fee Sotheby’s International Realty